Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:06:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problem with nb of connectiosn from single host

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 12:20:17PM +0200, FAI - Thierry Montigneaux wrote:
> OK, it works great now !
>
> Interestingly, there is not much difference in the time it takes to query
> 105 accounts every 5 minutes through INETD or running POPA3D as a daemon on
> our server (around 49-53 seconds, on a Cyrix P-166, with 32 Megs of RAM),

There would probably be a 5-10% difference in the total time if your
other server opened more than one POP3 session at a time.

I've measured a 7% reduction in CPU time used for POP3 sessions when
migrating a real POP3 server with popa3d from inetd to standalone
mode.  That was on an old Linux 2.0 / libc 5 system, 2 CPUs, about 50K
POP3 sessions a day, about 10 open at a time (on average).  The load
caused by POP3 was very light either way (under 1 hour of CPU time per
day, which means about 2% average, and the mail spool was a dedicated
SCSI disk such that the I/O didn't affect the rest of the system).

> but I will keep it running as a daemon as one of my goal was to minimize
> the number of services running on our mail gateway, and we can now get rid
> of INETD.

You very likely have reduced the load by a few percent.

--
/sd