Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 08:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: popa support <popa@...pip.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com, solar@...nwall.com
Subject: popa3d comments

I'm using popa3d as part of the OpenBSD 3.1 package. I'm happy with it, but do have a few comment-suggestions.
I get a lot of "Authentication failed for UNKNOWN USER" messages, but I have no idea who's trying to access their non-existant account. If I knew who, I could contact them and tell them their account no longer exists or they're using "Fred" for the user name instead of "fred" or something. Better would be "Authentication failed for UNKNOWN USER Fred".

2. It would be great if the IP address was logged too, i.e. "11.22.33.44 Authentication passed for fred"

3. Even for a small system like ours, the mail fetching completely buries anything else in /var/log/daemon which might be interesting. Since mail is such a large part of any system, I think popa3d needs it's own log file: /var/log/pop

4. How do I determine the version of popa3d? There's no V command, or connection message, or even text in the executable. It's good to be able to determine this to know about exploits, updates, etc. I want to find this from the executable, not from the source, since not all users have the source.

Thanks and best wishes.