Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 04:10:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Software Packages/zips of good software for Owl repository

Robert,

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 06:14:01PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> I could upload this in the repository, along with a sudo package for 32 and
> 64-bit Owl, if there is much interest.

Per our off-list discussions, I guess that you're using sudo for
something like:

./configure
make
sudo make install

This is recommended in lots of places, but you may instead consider
something like:

As root:

(umask 022; mkdir -p /opt/gcc/4.6.1)
chown user: /opt/gcc/4.6.1

As your build user:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gcc/4.6.1
nice -n19 make -j4
(umask 022; make install)

As root:

chown -R root: /opt/gcc/4.6.1

So you avoid running "make install" as root.

Note that for some software you will actually have to run "make install"
as root in order for it to create device files and/or files with
different owners/groups.  But for most things this is not needed.

The "umask 022" is because of our default umask of 077, which is not
very common and thus is often unexpected by install scripts.

Maybe this helps.

Alexander