Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:26:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Software Packages/zips of good software for Owl repository

Robert,

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 06:14:01PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> Is there any interest in having a software repository for the latest version
> of Owl?    Is there any interest in Openwall storing these?

Perhaps, but it'd cost time not only to contributors, but also to
whoever on our team manages the setup and defines the conventions.

We do currently have the /pub/Owl/contrib/ directory on the mirrors,
which carries some packages built on/for Owl 2.0.  We could add a
subdirectory for 3.0 if some packages worth placing in there are
contributed.

My understanding is that you propose the use of tarballs instead of RPMs.
I guess we could include those under the appropriate subdirectory as
well.  I would recommend that you install each piece of software under
/opt/PACKAGE/VERSION (e.g., /opt/gcc/4.6.1) and tar it up separately.

You could also generate your own GnuPG keypair and start providing
detached signatures for your builds.

> After a deal of pain, I built GCC v4.6.1 on Owl 3.0-current 2011/03/12 x86
> 32-bit and 64-bit.   I just tarred and zipped it and have it available to
> share.
>
> I could upload this in the repository,

I think it would be unjustified risk to add more accounts to the system
hosting our main mirror feed.  I suppose we could setup an extra OpenVZ
container on another machine, with accounts for contributors, and take
their contributions from there.

For just a tarball of gcc 4.6.1 binaries, I feel too lazy to do that,
given that we're supposed to have gcc 4.6.x properly packaged soon.  If
more contributions are expected, this becomes more reasonable - please
let me know if so.

> along with a sudo package for 32 and 64-bit Owl, if there is much interest.

By the way, sudo is controversial:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2004/10/20/6

Thanks,

Alexander