Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:15:16 +0530
From: Gaurav <gkt.pro@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Regarding GSoC 2012

Thanks Alexander for being honest and frank. It will help me in taking
right steps and effectively utilize my time.Sorry for being a looser for
not able to follow up with project during last year. Actually I was
overwhelmed by the complexity of this project and decided to first get hold
of the basic stuffs through some intern in Linux kernel in a local company.
Thanks again for the reply. Looking forward to work on this amazing project
in near future.

Thanks,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:22:45AM +0530, Gaurav wrote:
> > I am interested in contributing to Kernel-hardening project under
> Openwall.
> > Could someone please tell me what are all skill set expected from a
> student
> > participating in this project.
>
> It's not so much about skill set, but rather it's about mindset and
> already being involved, although indeed you will need some skills and
> experience as well (e.g., have some vulnerabilities discovered in the
> past, have some patches already accepted into the Linux kernel - or at
> the very least proposed).
>
> I recall that you previously inquired about GSoC 2011, and we failed to
> follow-up on one of your messages (sorry!):
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-dev/2011/04/06/3
>
> Yes, we did not specifically tell you what to start from, yet a student
> who we would potentially want to work with under GSoC would be capable
> of proposing things and trying to contribute on his/her own - e.g., at
> least you could participate in discussions on this list if you had
> something helpful to say.  Since you did not, it is unrealistic that
> we'll accept you under GSoC 2012 (not to mention that it's far from
> certain that we'll be in GSoC 2012 ourselves).  Among our criteria for
> student acceptance is genuine interest.  So far, by only expressing your
> interest in GSoC context, you demonstrated insufficient genuine interest
> in our projects.  I do not mean to imply that you're solely after the
> money; you may as well be after knowledge, which is great.  When we
> accept a student under GSoC, we actually have to mentor the student even
> if this costs us so much time that it becomes unreasonable (or we fail
> the student).  It might pay off in the long run if the student sticks
> around and becomes a real contributor later.  However, that's not what
> we're into.  (It might be different for some other orgs, some of which
> might not mind making such risky investments.)
>
> I hope you will find the above helpful (as I intended it to be) rather
> than offensive (although I realize that it might be seen as such).  I am
> merely being sincere, and I appreciate your inquiries.
>
> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped