Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 02:21:34 +0100
From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz@...ndz.org>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Nmap 5.51

On 2011-03-16 18:55:55 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> Vasiliy,
>
> Now that OpenVZ has re-labeled their latest "testing" kernel (the one we
> have in Owl-current) as "stable", I intend to get lots of stuff from
> Owl-current into Owl 3.0-stable, including even the Nmap update.  (The
> OpenSSL update will be a major exception to this.)
>
> And it feels wrong to do that for Nmap 5.50, when the Nmap project has
> released 5.51, which is a bugfix-only update (and thus is more "stable").
>
> Can you please update the Nmap package in Owl-current to 5.51 now?
> This should be quick and easy.
>
> http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q1/518
Hi,

I was reviewing the Owl Nmap patch [1] to drop privileges, and I've
noticed that the Script Pre-scanning phase will run before dropping
privileges, actually there are two issues.

Some background:
The Script Pre-scanning phase is a new NSE (Nmap Scripting Engine)
scan phase which occurs before Nmap starts classic scanning. Scripts in
this phase can do host/network discovery stuff (broadcast ...) and add
the discovered targets to the Nmap scanning queue. There is even a new
committed script 'target-sniffer.nse' to push sniffed targets into the
Nmap queue. Currently in the nmap-trunk more than 10 scripts will run
during this script scan phase.

1) I think that privileges should be dropped before any scan.

2) some (perhaps all) Pre-scanning scripts will not work with this patch
since they need some info (network interfaces ...) which are not
available at that time. The pre-scanning phase should not be moved, but
you can move the open_nse() call if you want to initialize NSE before
drop_priv().

I want to contribute to Owl, so let me know if you want me to adjust the
patch, or if you have some other suggestions.

Thx.

[1] http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/nmap/nmap-5.51-alt-owl-drop-priv.diff

--
tixxdz