Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 21:50:19 +0100
From: Fay Stegerman <flx@...usk.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jonathan Schleifer <js@....im>
Subject: Re: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to
 ssh server compromise

* "Rein Fernhout (Levitating)" <me@...itati.ng> [2024-03-30 18:07]:
[...]
> You can just use 'sed r\n filename' and it should work. I think it just reads the file and appends a newline.

I don't know if this is relevant, but 'sed r\n filename' does not *in general*
"append a newline".  It appends the file named after the 'r' (in this case a
file named 'n' -- assuming the backslash is interpreted by the shell and thus
doesn't really do anything) after each line of the file 'filename'; unless the
file 'n' doesn't exist, in which case it's equivalent to 'cat', except that it
will indeed happen to append a newline *but only if the original file doesn't
end with one*.

Thus it will behave quite differently depending on whether a file named 'n'
exists or not.

$ printf 'foo\nbar\n' > n
$ printf '1\n2\n3' > somefile
$ sed r\n somefile