Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 14:43:58 -0600
From: Mats Wichmann <mats@...hmann.us>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh
 server compromise

On 3/30/24 09:32, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>> Someone asked what would become of xz as a project. I do hope in light
>> of this event, some people step in to help.
>
> Perhaps Lasse should turn over control of the project to an entity
> like the Linux Foundation. Xz is critical to Linux now, and it needs
> more oversight than Lasse can provide. (Not to impugn Lasse; he seems
> to be very busy. Extra [trusted] helping hands would probably be
> welcomed).

In light of this scenario (at least what I understand about it), it's
got to be even harder now for an overloaded maintainer to accept help of
a significant nature. Some large projects have an incredibly high bar
for getting commit rights. Some small ones, too.  It's not about to get
easier after this.