Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 22:46:17 +0100
From: Axel Beckert <abe@...xchevaux.org>
To: Andres Freund <andres@...razel.de>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to
 ssh server compromise

Hi Andres,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 12:48:50PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> FWIW, RSA_public_decrypt is reachable, regardless of server configuration,
> when using certificate based authentication.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wait, do you really mean SSH keys verified by certificates issued by a
(usually internal, SSH-specific) certificate authority (CA) for a key?

See e.g.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSSH/Cookbook/Certificate-based_Authentication
what certificate-based authentication in SSH actually means.

From my experience certificate-based SSH authentication (i.e. those
algorithms with *-cert-* in their names) is rather rare, while simple
public key authentication (where you just put your according pubkey
into .ssh/authorized_keys) is very common.

Can you clarify if you really meant that solely certificate based
authentication (with certificates issued by a CA) triggers that code
path or if you actually meant all sorts of public key based
authentication in general?

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@...xchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)