Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 14:46:59 +0000
From: "Simon Waters (Surevine)" <simon.waters@...evine.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Security risk of vim swap files

> On 31 Oct 2017, at 12:23, Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de> wrote:
>
> I was wondering how to best avoid this on my own servers and I first
> thought about saving the swap files to tmp ( with "set directory”).

The specific website issue, the web server config can exclude dot files.

Apache ships with

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

The obvious generalisations of this work. Although some sources also recommend blocking in “Location” to prevent requests with “*/.*stuff”  which are parsed by templating libraries or other directives.

To rub salt in most distros ship Apache with

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# RCS CVS *,v *,t

Which means that if you use the Apache directory indexing approach these files will be hidden but not blocked.

I now realise the Alexa top 1 million will now be searched for remaining uses of RCS and CVS ;)

In a previous role the roll out scripts cleaned this sort of junk and told you if any new files had been added to the web application, this approach has much to recommend it if you have the time to perfect your applications, and your roll out procedures.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (874 bytes)