Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 01:10:42 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: "Christey, Steven M." <coley@...re.org>,
        "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: Assign a CVE Identifier <cve-assign@...re.org>
Subject: Re: heap overflow in procmail

On 03/09/14 11:13 PM, Christey, Steven M. wrote:
> Kurt,
>
>> So this is potentially a very bad issue, so I'm assigning a CVE, sorry
>> Mitre (safe assumption: they're all tucked away in bed like normal sane
>> people =).
>
> That's actually an unsafe assumption, which has introduced a vulnerability into your logic.  There are counter-examples by two different CVE CNA team members in this thread alone.
>
> For additional evidence that counters your assumption, here are a handful of recent oss-security posts by cve-assign between midnight (Eastern time) and 4 AM.  This list is far from complete.
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/09/02/1
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/3
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/4
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/13/5
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/14/2
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/14/5
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/08/15/3
>
> When an issue has been made widely public to the security industry, CNAs are expected to attempt to coordinate more closely with MITRE before assigning a CVE ID themselves.  This helps to reduce confusion and duplicates.  Anything posted to oss-security is considered "widely public."
>
> - Steve

Sorry, it was meant tongue in cheek, the main reason I assumed Mitre was
off because it came in relatively not super late in the day and no reply
from Mitre when I noticed it. I also wanted to avoid the notify you guys
then wait to confirm you weren't awake so I could get to bed early
(cause getting to bed early worked out for me today, sigh).

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)