Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 01:47:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: nacin@...dpress.org
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WordPress 3.9.2 release - needs CVE's

>> -Fixes a possible but unlikely code execution when processing widgets
>> (WordPress is not affected by default), discovered by Alex Concha of
>> the WordPress security team.

> This is an unsafe serialization vulnerability. Affected versions 3.9 and
> 3.9.1.
>
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/29389

Use CVE-2014-5203.

>> -Adds protections against brute attacks against CSRF tokens, reported
>> by David Tomaschik of the Google Security Team.

> Same reporter, same same line of code, but two separate issues here. One,
> when building CSRF tokens, the individual pieces were not separated by
> delimiter, so $action + $user_id could have been post_1 + user 23 or post
> 12 + user 3. Second issue: Nonces were not being compared in a
> time-constant manner. Neither are easy to exploit.
>
> Affected WordPress versions 2.0.3 - 3.9.1 (except 3.7.4 / 3.8.4)

> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/29384

Use CVE-2014-5204.

> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/29408

Use CVE-2014-5205.

>> -Contains some additional security hardening, like preventing
>> cross-site scripting that could be triggered only by administrators.
>>

> XSS: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/29398

We think this can have a CVE ID only if it allows privilege escalation
from Administrator to Super Admin in a Multisite installation. Does
it? (On other installations, Administrator has the unfiltered_html
capability.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]