Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 01:17:58 -0500
From: Dave Blanchard <dave@...lthe.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: musl -- FFS get your shit together, please

There's a lot to like about musl, but damn, there's some absolutely ridiculous aspects also:

1) How in the hell are you going to make a MAJOR change like changing #ifdefs from defined(_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE) || defined(_GNU_SOURCE) to just defined(_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE) in a PATCH level increment, from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4? What the hell is wrong with you? You just broke my entire build! Yet another patch had to be created on my end to UNDO this crazy change; the only alternative was patching half the packages on my system to fix their now-broken build! Do you know NOTHING about proper versioning???

2) Did it occur to anyone involved in this project to maybe actually organize and COMMENT the system header files, instead of just randomly throwing a random assortment of shit into an .H file and calling it good? The amount of duplicated, undocumented, assorted crap is pretty ridiculous for a project that's supposed to be a FROM SCRATCH libc implementation! How about getting it right from the beginning, with a clean and organized implementation, instead of starting off with a random pile of shit? Even glibc is better organized, for fuck's sake!

3) Why in the hell does musl duplicate/change(!) internal structures from Linux kernel headers instead of just #include'ing the damn Linux headers (and relevant structures) and be done with it?

4) Would it kill you to add in various simple #defines and such in the headers which greatly improve compatibility with GNU code, without actually requiring any support in the libc library code??

Between the above, plus the 6-7 "musl addon" support packages required to be installed alongside to make my Linux system build with musl, at this point I have essentially FORKED musl!

Musl is clearly not designed with Linux workstation usage in mind!

Dave