Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 00:38:51 -0300
From: Érico Nogueira <ericonr@...root.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Announcing an argp-standalone fork

I accidentally didn't reply to the list.

Em 10/02/2021 22:01, Ismael Luceno escreveu:
> On 10/Feb/2021 20:36, Érico Nogueira wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> So, the current argp-standalone version used by at least Void, Alpine
>> and possibly FreeBSD (though I don't know the best way to contact
>> them) has a few tiny issues here and there. The one I experienced was
>> that unning elfutils' `eu-elfclassify --help` resulted in a segfault.
>>
>> Since argp-standalone upstream has been inactive for a long time, and
>> I couldn't find any other forks, I decided to do it myself, and try to
>> bring it in line with what glibc currently has.
>>

>> The results are in https://github.com/ericonr/argp-standalone
>>
>> if anyone else wants to try it / verify my work. I also imported quite
>> a few trivial and stylistic glibc changes in order to keep the diff
>> with future glibc as small as possible, which should make updating the
>> library reasonably simple.
>>
>> There is still this FreeBSD patch that I haven't imported:
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/argp-standalone/files/patch-argp-help.c?view=log
>>
>> I should be switching Void to this fork in the short term, as well.
>>
>> Cheers, and hope this can be useful for someone,
>> Érico
>
> Have you seen <https://github.com/xhebox/libuargp>?

No, I wasn't aware of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Before
commiting to my version, I will try and compare them.

Since most distros are still using the old argp-standalone, from what I
can see in repology.org, I hope we can try and improve the situation some...

Cheers,

Érico