Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 20:36:19 -0300
From: Érico Nogueira <ericonr@...root.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Announcing an argp-standalone fork

Hi!

So, the current argp-standalone version used by at least Void, Alpine
and possibly FreeBSD (though I don't know the best way to contact them)
has a few tiny issues here and there. The one I experienced was that
unning elfutils' `eu-elfclassify --help` resulted in a segfault.

Since argp-standalone upstream has been inactive for a long time, and I
couldn't find any other forks, I decided to do it myself, and try to
bring it in line with what glibc currently has.

The results are in https://github.com/ericonr/argp-standalone

if anyone else wants to try it / verify my work. I also imported quite a
few trivial and stylistic glibc changes in order to keep the diff with
future glibc as small as possible, which should make updating the
library reasonably simple.

There is still this FreeBSD patch that I haven't imported:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/argp-standalone/files/patch-argp-help.c?view=log

I should be switching Void to this fork in the short term, as well.

Cheers, and hope this can be useful for someone,
Érico