Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:30:16 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Tom Storey <tom@...ap.net>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Building for m68k

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 03:04:15PM +1000, Tom Storey wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Sorry, I should perhaps mention that I am looking to "build for bare
> metal", if that matters? Im not a particular expert in all of this. :-)
>
> Basically, my situation is that Im a hobbyist, and have plans to build a
> computer around the m68k. Not looking to run Linux or anything on it, but
> dont want to be stuck with writing assembly. I was hoping to have libc
> available just to have access to some standard functions if needed.
>
> Or, perhaps Im complicating things for my intended use? The older CPUs
> might not be supported due to lack of MMU, and libc is really only meant
> for use within an OS environment? Could I perhaps be better off writing my
> own implementations of libc things if/when I need them?

It's possible to do a bare-metal port of musl, or to use unmodified or
minimally-modified musl with bare-metal by implementing the syscall
ABI for at least a minimal set of syscalls for things you need. In the
m68k case the latter would also involve the trap handler emulating the
cas instruction. If doing your own more extensive port, you could do
something more elaborate but less costly, or on nommu something simple
like cli;nonatomic_op;sti.

Any of these options is going to be a lot less work than writing a
significantly functional libc from scratch.

Rich