Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:27:58 +1000
From: Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>
To: Nicholas Piggin via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>, Szabolcs Nagy
	<nsz@...t70.net>
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, libc-dev@...ts.llvm.org,
	linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Powerpc Linux 'scv' system call ABI proposal take 2

Excerpts from Szabolcs Nagy's message of April 16, 2020 7:58 pm:
> * Nicholas Piggin via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org> [2020-04-16 10:16:54 +1000]:
>> Well it would have to test HWCAP and patch in or branch to two
>> completely different sequences including register save/restores yes.
>> You could have the same asm and matching clobbers to put the sequence
>> inline and then you could patch the one sc/scv instruction I suppose.
>
> how would that 'patch' work?
>
> there are many reasons why you don't
> want libc to write its .text

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to libraries.
Shame if there is no good way to load-time patch libc. It's orthogonal
to the scv selection though -- if you don't patch you have to
conditional or indirect branch however you implement it.

Thanks,
Nick