Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 15:10:34 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de>
To: "liheng \(P\)" <liheng40@...wei.com>
Cc: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>,  "musl\@lists.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>,  Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>,  "Xiangrui \(Euler\)" <rui.xiang@...wei.com>,  Lizefan <lizefan@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: regex Back reference matching result not same as glibc and tre.

* liheng:

> But my point is that why pat[] = "(.?).?\\1" to match "aba" in
> extended regular expression mode that success in glibc and failed in
> musl?  Are musl-regex and glibc-regex different?

They are different.  Nowadays, accepting backreferences for extended
regular expressions is probably a bug: it prevents certain strategies
for implementing regular expressions because they are not, in fact,
regular.

The glibc implementation is problematic for several reasons.  I cannot
recommend to use it as a reference.