Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 16:37:56 -0800
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@...ucla.edu>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>, musl@...ts.openwall.com,
 39236@...bugs.gnu.org, Gnulib bugs <bug-gnulib@....org>
Subject: Re: bug#39236: coreutils cp mishandles error return from
 lchmod

On 1/22/20 2:05 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> I think we're approaching a consensus that glibc should fix this too,
> so then it would just be gnulib matching the fix.

I installed the attached patch to Gnulib in preparation for the upcoming
glibc fix. The patch causes fchmodat with AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW to work on
non-symlinks, and similarly for lchmod on non-symlinks. The idea is to
avoid this sort of problem in the future, and to let Coreutils etc. work
on older platforms as if glibc 2.32 (or whatever) is already in place.

View attachment "0001-fchmodat-AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW-fix-for-non-symlinks.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (24629 bytes)