Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:31:36 +0100
From: Jens Staal <staal1978@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [preview] Aalbus : a musl/clang/libc++ distro

Dear all,

I recently got a direct e-mail asking about the progress of this hobby
OS and shared a preview archive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vg1nJQulRWoOaqLKPY0fewDIwRHPCgWa

It might be nice to get some extra eyeballs on it. The archive is
surprisingly big compared to my previous musl/clang/libc++ gentoo
stage 4. Perhaps due to pkgsrc (which also has a tendency to pull in
lots of dependencies for each package)..

Brief background:

Name/mascot: The name/mascot comes from the Lovecraftian giant albino
penguin Aptenodytes albus:
https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Albino_penguin

Toolchain : musl/clang/libc++ + elftoolchain
Package manager: pkgsrc
shell: mksh
editor: vis (-->vi)
Several alternative libraries (libedit, gettext-tiny, netbsd-curses,
skarnet,...)
utilities: a mix of sbase/ubase, Heirloom and (Net)BSD (+freegrep)
man: mandoc+neatroff

I had hoped to use nbase as major provider of general utilities but
when I managed to build it most binaries crashed with a core dump so I
went back to sbase.

Some major TODOs still are to build/package syslinux and linux kernel
and figure out how to make a bootable live ISO.