Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 06:52:04 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: time64 switchover -- distro plans?

On 26/10/2019 23:08, Rich Felker wrote:
> This thread is a call for feedback from distros (or other
> similarly-situated systems integrators) using musl with 32-bit archs.
> Everything is moving smoothly on my side for upcoming time64
> switchover which will be included in the next release, 1.2.0. But with
> this involving ABI issues between packages and changes that some
> software may not be ready for, it will likely be at least somewhat
> disruptive to distros/users.
>
> In particular:
>
> * Are there resources I could/should make available that will help
>   things go smoothly?
>
> * Are you available for testing building and running packages against
>   time64 musl prior to release?

We can launch a full distro build against any given musl commit on
32-bit PowerPC and ARM (v7).  We have test suites enabled on 1280 of our
2087 packages (~61%) so that should help find bugs if any.  I can also
then install it on a Power Mac G4 and a Raspberry Pi 2 we have set aside
for testing experimental changes.

It'd be much more difficult, but if nobody else offers i586 testing, we
*may* be able to do that as well.  Let us know.

> From my side, I'm planning to write up release notes/announcement far
> more detailed than usual, with instructions on switchover, what ABI
> compatibility/stability does & doesn't mean, possible pitfalls, tips
> for catching code that may have time64-related bugs, etc., and just
> basic FAQ items like whether you need a 5.1+ kernel (no) or kernel
> headers (no).

That sounds great.

> I'll also be building and testing some software on i386 and sh at
> least; I already started with busybox, which just got the main
> time64-readiness issue I was aware of fixed.
>
> I think I'll push the last of the time64 patches within the next week,
> possibly sooner, meaning "distros start testing" is a thing that could
> begin really soon if anyone's up for it.

We would probably be ready for this in November.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)