Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 08:27:20 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use MUSL without installing it?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 03:20:12PM +0300, John Found wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 13:58:28 +0200
> Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> wrote:
>
> > * John Found <johnfound@...32.info> [2018-09-04 14:34:39 +0300]:
> > > >
> > > What value should I set CROSS_COMPILE to? i386?
> > >

> > leave it empty (by default it is '386-')
> > ./configure --host=i386 CROSS_COMPILE=
> >
> > > Well, I will keep it the right way then. BTW, "make install"
> > > tries to create symlink for ld-musl-i386.so in /usr/lib/ directory
> > > How to prevent this attempt?
> >
> > if you don't use dynamic linking then --disable-shared
> >
> > if you want to build dynamic linked executables that work
> > locally with your musl install, but not portable to other
> > musl systems then --syslibdir='$(prefix)/lib'
> > (then the binaries will use that path for the dynamic linker)
> >
> > if you want to build dynamic linked executables that are
> > portable, but don't run locally, then ignore that failure
> > (it is not fatal, binaries will have standard dynamic linker
> > path, but your system will not have it set up)
> >
> > if you want to build dynamic linked executables that are
> > portable and work locally, then you must have the dynamic
> > linker in /lib so you have to put the symlink there.
>
> Thanks for this detailed explanation. It is very helpful.
>
> Actually I am using dynamic linked executables,
> but I am setting the interpreter section to
> relative path: "./ld-musl-i386.so" and shiping
> a portable package with my executable, sqlite3.so and
> ld-musl-i386.so in one directory. This way providing
> running on 64bit systems without installed 32bit libraries.

This won't work -- a relative path is relative to the current working
directory, not the location of the executable. If you want users to be
able to invoke your program normally, you need to just provide a
wrapper script that does something like

	exec $(basedir)/ld-musl-i386.so --library-path ... -- $(basedir)/your_program.bin "$@"

I'm actually working on a design to allow direct invocation of
dynamic-linked programs without absolute dynamic linker paths, but it
will be a while before it's done and included in musl.