Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:44:17 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: getaddrinfo(3) / AI_ADDRCONFIG

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 06:12:31AM -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:26 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> > Pulling in large amounts of additional code and O(n) runtime cost
>
> Latest patch [1] addresses
>
> 1) not ignoring loopback
> 2) using routability of udp packets vs O(n) lookup on network interfaces
>
> Any other concerns, Rich?

You seem to have deleted the original patch and replaced it with a new
version. My first concern is *please* send all patches as attachments
to the list, not transient links like github or pastebins. Even if it
were still there now, it would likely not be there 5 years later when
someone is reading list archives. I'm attaching your v2 patch here now
for reference.

With that said, it still makes sprawling changes and intraduces a
gratuitous new file with external interface for something that
fundamentally takes only a few lines in one place and no external
interface at all. Formatting is also inconsistent with musl (spaces
after opening and before closing paren, etc.). And addition of the
nonstandard EAI_NODATA is an independent change that, if it makes
sense at all, needs to be discussed separately, and would need
corresponding changes elsewhere (e.g. gai_strerror).

Rich

View attachment "v2.diff" of type "text/plain" (4684 bytes)