Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:32:36 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to test if dlclose is a no-op?

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:24:05AM -0500, Thadeus Fleming wrote:
> I'm working on improving a system that makes some bad assumptions
> about dynamic unloading. While I'm not fond of dynamic unloading, I
> think it might be valuable to be able to distinguish between "this C
> library doesn't support unloading at all" and "if the planets are all
> aligned, unloading might work." Testing if dlclose is a no-op would
> allow me to make that distinction.

Well obviously you can do something like dlopen/dlclose/dlopen of the
same library (a specially crafted probe library) with a ctor and
observe whether ctor ran once or twice. But it seems like if you fix
whatever bad assumptions the code has to the point that it runs
correctly on musl, it will run correctly everywhere without caring
what the behavior is.

Rich