Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:28:39 +0100
From: Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt@...ia.fr>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automated coding style

Hello Samuel,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:41:23 -0600 Samuel Holland <samuel@...lland.org>
wrote:

> uncrustify is the most flexible of the three, making it the best for
> matching an existing code style. It's also a bit buggier than
> clang-format, especially when the tool wraps long lines for you
> (though this doesn't affect code already following a line length
> limit).

I didn't know of uncrustify. Looks promissing.

> I wrote a script to permute over 600 of the options to uncrustify and
> generate a configuration with the smallest diff from the current musl
> source. Attached is that configuration file, as well as a diffstat
> from 628cf979b249. You can see most of the changes are in the inline
> assembly syntax, continuation of header namespace guards, and the
> imported code in src/math and src/regex.

This sounds like a lot of work.

Debian also has UniversalIndentGui which seems to be able to guide
through the choice of different beautifier options.

> I don't claim that this file represents the "official musl style",
> especially because it's autogenerated, but hopefully it's useful for
> formatting patches.

Such patches could be applied as last before release, or first after,
such that we have a clear cut.

Jens

--
:: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS :::
:: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536   ::