Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:29:00 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: Nicholas Wilson <nicholas.wilson@...lvnc.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should calls to mmap/brk handle EINTR?

On 11/28/2017 01:51 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

> I've noticed that in Linux 4.7, there's a change compared to the Linux 4.6 code. The mmap and brk syscalls are protected by semaphores, and previously, those syscalls did an uninterruptible wait on the semaphore. Since Linux 4.7, those syscalls can now return EINTR if the semaphore is under contention, and a signal is received while waiting on it.

Is this really true?  How is this not a kernel bug?

Commit dc0ef0df7b6a90892ec41933212ac701152a254c says this:

“
…
Most of the patches are really trivial because the lock is help from a
shallow syscall paths where we can return EINTR trivially and allow the
current task to die (note that EINTR will never get to the userspace as
the task has fatal signal pending). …
”

Those EINTRs really have to be invisible from userspace.  If you can
reproduce EINTR returns to userspace, then something is very wrong.

Thanks,
Florian