Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 14:25:46 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Query about current practice of installing linux kernel
 header files

* vlse <vlse@...ra.biz> [2017-01-06 18:08:39 +0530]:
> I have a query regarding installation of Linux kernel header files for use with musl while compiling programs requiring it. I studied musl-cross-make source files. From it I found that it applies the linux kernel patch "0001-archscripts.diff" to linux source. And basically it does the following:
>
> 1) $(MAKE) ARCH=$(LINUX_ARCH) O=somedir INSTALL_HDR_PATH=somedir/staged headers_install
> 2) find somedir/staged/include '(' -name .install -o -name ..install.cmd ')' -exec rm {} +
> 3) cp -R somedir/staged/include/* $(DESTDIR)$(OUTPUT)$(SYSROOT)/include
>
> Is this correct?

i think this is not musl specific, but the linux kernel way
to install uapi (there are collisions with libc headers
so you need staging and copy to the destination in the right
order with respect to libc header install)

> Does it means we can use plain vanilla kernel source and install headers from it?

yes.

> That is musl specific adaptation of Linux kernel sources & headers has been upstreamed.
> No more any need of sabotage adapted linux kernel headers.
> Please correct me.

no, musl specific fixes are not upstreamed yet
but this only affects code that includes certain
linux headers as well as libc headers in the same
source files.