Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:38:51 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: long double on powerpc64

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2016-03-11 10:55:30 -0500]:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 02:04:35PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > * Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com> [2016-03-11 11:19:22 +0000]:

> > > I think it would be a mistake to only support ld64, I think Bobby's approach
> > > of two architectures is probably better, and maybe look to retire ld64
> > > eventually.
> >
> > if long double is 64bit then the 128bit hw floats cannot be used
> > with musl, because we don't want library support for __float128.
>
> I don't follow. Are you saying we would not want quad if it requires
> soft float? I think the idea here is that the baseline binaries that

gcc-6 supports a __float128 type on powerpc64
this is hard float with isa 3.0 (power9) and soft-float earlier.

there is discussion to support __float128 in glibc, but i assumed
we would not want it (needs new math library functions for this
type, header changes e.g. tgmath.h etc)

> work on all models would need to use soft float operations for long
> double, but higher -march could use the hardware directly in the
> future (and the soft support should correctly use the fenv from
> hardware). That's the same as the situation for aarch64, no?

aarch64 has 128bit registers architecturally, but no 128bit
arithmetic instructions.

> > note that the glibc position is that for __float128 support the
> > minimum required gcc version has to change to gcc-7 because it is
> > abi and libc needs complex support (which will not be in gcc-6 yet).
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-12/msg02222.html
> > https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-03/msg00193.html
>
> Support for __float128 is separate from support for targets where long
> double is IEEE quad, I think. The former is not interesting IMO.

yes.

however whitout __float128 and with 64bit long double musl
cannot use the fancy 128bit hw float instructions
(this was my point above).

> > the problem with -ld64 suffix is that gcc-6 already has hardcoded
> > dynamic linker names (i don't think we can change that now, before
> > the gcc-6 release).
> >
> > so i'd leave the dynlinker name as is, use 64bit ld for now and
> > rediscuss the issue when ieee128 long double works in gcc-7
>
> Any idea why IEEE quad support requires bleeding-edge gcc for some
> targets when mips64 had it way back in gcc 4.2 or earlier?

it was not supported on powerpc64, because they used different
long double and untangling that mess is apparently non-trivial.

(they had to introduce new modes
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-06/msg00229.html
and do lot of changes in gcc/config/rs6000/ to make this
work, powerpc also has decimal float stuff and converting
those to ieee128 does not work yet)