Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 11:21:31 +0800
From: 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)  <luoyonggang@...il.com>
To: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@...us.fraunhofer.de>
Cc: vapier@...too.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com, John Sully <john@...uare.ca>,
	James McNellis <james@...esmcnellis.com>, hsutter@...rosoft.com, dplakosh@...t.org,
	Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, Clang Dev <cfe-dev@...uiuc.edu>, Karsten Blees <blees@...n.de>,
	austin-group-l@...ngroup.org
Subject: Re: Re: [cfe-dev] Is that getting wchar_t to be 32bit on win32
 a good idea for compatible with Unix world by implement posix layer on win32 API?

> I remember that a while ago (probably around 2001), Microsoft tried to reword
> POSIX to permit 16 bit characters by default to make their interface POSIX
> compliant. This caused a long discussion that ended with the conclusion, that
> we cannot do that.
That's really a long time ago, things are changed time to time.
Suppose we drop the support for wchar_t for POSIX, then there is still
a cross-platform subset we could use. And that's truly we want.
In real world, there is so much Compromise, I was intent to developing
a cross-platform subset C runtime API to makes some app development
ease.
Such as git. There is a large set of application and libraries that
suffering there is a cross-platfrom subset POSIX C runtime to use, so
for the cross-platform support, they have to sacrifice the code
elegance and using all kinds of tricks to work around
for those APIs.
--
         此致
礼