Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 12:27:56 +0200
From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@...us.fraunhofer.de>
To: <vapier@...too.org>, <luoyonggang@...il.com>
CC: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>, <john@...uare.ca>, <james@...esmcnellis.com>,
        <hsutter@...rosoft.com>, <dplakosh@...t.org>, <dalias@...c.org>,
        <cfe-dev@...uiuc.edu>, <blees@...n.de>, <austin-group-l@...ngroup.org>
Subject: Re: Re: [cfe-dev] Is that getting wchar_t to be 32bit on win32 a good idea for compatible with Unix world by implement posix layer on win32 API?

Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org> wrote:

> On 10 May 2015 20:31, ???(Yonggang Luo)  wrote:
> > For example, the open function exist both in msvcrt and posix,
> > int open(const char *path, int oflag, ...);
> >
> > But in msvcrt, the path is ANSI encoding, and in posix, path is utf8 encoding,
>
> POSIX has no such encoding requirement on the |path| argument:
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/open.html
>
> on Linux, that buffer is a standard NUL-terminated C string which is passed
> directly to the kernel which more or less passes it directly to the fs driver.
> how some FS drivers interpret that string depends on the FS.
> -mike

I remember that a while ago (probably around 2001), Microsoft tried to reword
POSIX to permit 16 bit characters by default to make their interface POSIX
compliant. This caused a long discussion that ended with the conclusion, that
we cannot do that.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg@...ily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin