Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:38:20 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Post-1.1.6 goals

Having just released 1.1.6, I'm going to go over some goals for what
I'd like to get done in musl next. On the roadmap on the wiki, the
targets for the next mainline release, 1.1.7, are:

- POSIX AIO overhaul
- Fixing insufficient minimum stack sizes for some archs
- Fixing AS-safety of multi-threaded set*id() functions
- New cancellation mode (at first internal-use-only, for fixing CV
  wait cancellation behavior)

Of these, only POSIX AIO involves significant large new code. Min
stack size is a research problem, the set*id() work is what I've been
documenting in another email thread (Fixing multithreaded set*id()
AS-safety) and is a small and isolated but highly technical piece of
code to write, and the new cancellation stuff is just a couple lines
of code, but does require minor per-arch additions in __syscall_cp_asm
files.

Aside from working on the next mainline release, there are several
other things I'd like to get done in the near future:

- Bringing the 1.0.x branch up to date. I want to bring the series
  gently to an end, but 1.0.4 has some fairly major bugs that were
  fixed in mainline after it was released, so I'd like to have at
  least one more release, 1.0.5, to correct them. Then we can talk
  about EOL for 1.0.x.

- Updating and completing documentation. There's been almost no work
  on the manual since it was released with 1.0.0. Some minor things
  are outdated in it, but mostly the incomplete parts just need to be
  written.

- Overhauling the website. Despite having the libc.org domain for
  almost a year and intending to move the musl website there, it
  hasn't happened yet. My main goals during the move are to get
  content out of html (and into markdown) and to make the content more
  relevant to musl's increased adoption/exposure. I'd also like to get
  https working. Actually making non-musl content for libc.org (vs
  musl.libc.org) is somewhere on the agenda too.