Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 10:51:06 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Funding musl development via Patreon

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2014-11-18 15:44:33 -0500]:
> So if you're using musl and want to help musl keep getting better,
> please consider becoming a sponsor. The average donation through the
> Patreon platform is $5-$10/month, but even a dollar shows you care,
> and lots of little donations add up.

i think the transaction cost is important to note:

"
Patreon takes 5% and the creators cover the credit card transaction fees
which are generally 4% across the site.

Our billing partners charge the following fees for pledges:
Paypal $0.05 + 5%* per transaction Stripe $0.30 + 2.1%* per transaction
Patreon also has a 5% fee to cover our operating costs*

All pledges are converted to USD. Any pledge made in an alternative currency
will be converted to the equivalent value of the USD amount. All fees
conversion fees will be charged to the Patron

*Note: We aggregate each Patron's pledges each month. If a Patron is
supporting multiple creators, credit card fees will be split amongst
all Creators being supported in an effort to minimize fees.

Transferring funds from your Patreon account Our partners charge the
following fees to transfer funds to your personal accounts: Direct Deposit
(US only) $0.25 fee per transfer Payoneer (US & International) $3.00 fee
per transfer PayPal USA 2% capped at $1.00 fee per transfer PayPal
International 0.5% - 2% fee of amount transferred
"

(i'd not recommend sending $1 over such a system: for credit card
transfer the overhead is $0.37 as far as i can see not counting
the conversion costs when sending from outside the us and the
patreon->dalias transaction (which hopefully will have amortized
costs) and i would not recommend paypal for reliability reasons..
the micro payment problem is not solved yet)