Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:23:48 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locale bikeshed time

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 07:47:06PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * u-igbb@...ey.se <u-igbb@...ey.se> [2014-07-26 11:38:05 +0200]:
> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 04:03:27AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > Well, 2/3 of the world's population is in India and China and they all
> > > use ".", so I think that pretty much covers the question of which is
> > > "more widely used".
> >
> > Ah indeed. That's a sufficient evidence.
> >

> world is about 7G
> india+china is about 2.5G
> that looks closer to 1/3 than to 2/3

Yes, sorry; I was thinking both were already closer to 2G and was
using an old idea (closer to 6G) for world population. So some more
work would be needed to get a good estimate.

> but using anything other than '.' as the decimal point is broken

Agreed. BTW if you support arbitrary radix characters, you should not
restrict it to ASCII; this then means the length in bytes of floating
point fields varies by locale (currently the only printf specifier
where either the contents OR length vary by locale is the nonstandard
one, %m) which affects asprintf (right now it's "broken" if it races
with setlocale and the format includes %m; I don't know if we care)
and the implementation of a lot of other stuff (like wprintf).