Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:22:49 -0400
From: "writeonce@...ipix.org" <writeonce@...ipix.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locale bikeshed time

On 07/23/2014 12:39 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On that topic, while this is a matter outside my control for
> individual users, my preference would be that the official musl-locale
> data attempt to avoid multiple variants/modifiers and legacy options
> if possible. For example I would like to see the numeric date format
> be ISO format in all locales, with traditional formats only where the
> natural-language string representations for months/days are included
> (and I say this as someone coming from one of the locales, i.e. US,
> where the traditional numeric date format is non-ISO). In keeping with
> the principle that musl is "modern" I'd like to prefer modern cultural
> conventions to historical ones.
For what it's worth, I wanted to point out that the ISO C explicitly
pertains to the Gregorian calendar only, albeit in parenthesis (N1570,
7.27.1).  For users of [listed in alphabetical order:] Arabic, Chinese,
Hebrew, Japanese, Persian, and Tibetan, for instance, there are two
different issues at stake: the first is the representation of the date
according to the Gregorian calendar in one's own language, which could
(~easily~) be made "modern" (ISO compliant), whereas the second is the
representation of the date according to the culture's native calendar in
the language matching the current locale.

While I'm not necessary suggesting that musl (or any other libc, for
that matter) should implement the conversion functions from the
Gregorian calendar to other calendars and vice versa, it would be nice
if at least the prototypes of the conversion functions were somehow
standardized, and also if the locale files likewise accounted for the
above issues (e.g. in the form of placeholders).

PS. speaking of historical vs. modern and LC_MONETARY, we should
probably bear in mind the many locale variants that are based on
currency only, as for example in the case of EU member countries before
and after the Euro.

zg