Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:12:12 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locale bikeshed time

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:03:00PM +0100, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> On 22/07/2014 21:36, Rich Felker wrote:
> >Do you have in mind a usage case this would be beneficial for?
>
>  Not particularly - again, I'm far from a locale expert. But you
> seem reluctant to reuse LOCPATH for mixed musl+glibc installations,
> and also reluctant to break an established convention, so having

I was not reluctant to break established convention here, but
reluctant to add new variables systems integrators and administrators
need to be aware of (for the sake of preserving them or filtering
them). But I think the alternative is worse.

> both would cater to all use cases - LOCPATH for the principle of
> least surprise and general use, and MUSL_LOCPATH for people who
> know what they are doing and need a different variable.

I'm not seeing a way that setting LOCPATH without being aware that the
app you're trying to affect is using musl could be helpful. The
locales you're trying to make visible to the app need to be in the
format used by musl, not the glibc format, so you have to already be
aware of this. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing -- this is why I
asked -- but if there's no reason for it, I think searching both "just
because" is bad.