Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:12:19 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gethostbyname and resolv.conf

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:02:17PM -0400, John Mudd wrote:
> FYI: Looks like the musl gethostbyname() doesn't use the "search" command
> in the resolv.conf file.

Indeed, search is not implemented. It's on the roadmap for the
resolver overhaul, which is the next task and should be done sometime
next month.

One matter that could use discussion is how search should be
performed. The queries could be done in parallel, or in series once
the previous one fails. In any case the operation cannot complete
until there is an initial subsequence of the search list beginning
with zero or more negative results followed by a positive result; a
positive result with unanswered queries before it is non-conclusive.

Also a question is how search should interact with hosts file. If a
non-initial search suffix succeeds in the hosts file, should DNS
queries still be performed to check if the earlier search suffixes are
found via DNS?

These kinds of questions are why it's not implemented yet, and they
need to be discussed now I think if we're going to get it implemented
soon.