Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 19:54:22 +0000
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: malloc not behaving well when brk space is limited?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 02:56:19PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Yes, I understand. I didn't mean that this can't or shouldn't be
> fixed, just that the changes I had hoped to make to malloc in the
> 1.1.x series are not looking like the right direction for fixing this,
> so we're back to the question of what to do.
>
> If you need a fix (or at least a workaround) right away, let me know
> and I'll see if I can think of anything.

Thanks Rich,

I would appreciate your support for any tenable solution.

The very ugly workaround which I am testing now is to temporarily
resort to the implicit loader. This seems to work, with a hack of the
kind I posted at first, introducing a "ONCE_LD_LIBRARY_PATH" variable
and renaming it afterwards (introducing the possible slight environment
corruption).

This is far from a solution, just slightly better than a complete halt.

Nevertheless I feel moving to musl if worth the effort.

So if you can think of any half-usable solution to make malloc compatible
with the standalone loader, I would happily go for it.

Regards,
Rune