Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:46:39 +0200
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: dalias@...ifal.cx
Subject: Re: Revisiting 1.0 publicity plan

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 06:24:54 -0500
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> Here's what I've dug up from the old publicity plan thread and more
> recent developments, organized into a few specific areas we can work
> on:
>

> 1. Reviewing status of musl support in:
>
> - Alpine Linux (http://alpinelinux.org/)
>
> For the ones where support is complete or significant process is being
> made, we should highlight their support of musl in the publicity work
> we do elsewhere; doing so seems mutually beneficial. I think we can
> also mail them announcing 1.0, thanking them for supporting musl, etc.
> and offering to follow up on any issues they're still having.

As noted on IRC, we are debating whether or not to switch main builds
to musl on next release (spring) or the release after. In any case, the
builds are very usable already. Recent stats of our build is:

                main            testing
musl-x86:       1684/1729       822/1104
musl-x86_64:    1684/1727       835/1099
musl-armhf:     1639/1719       815/1092

legend being: #built-successfully / #relevant-packages

These include non-trivial stuff including gcc/fortran, gcc/java,
gcc/ada, openjdk6, openjdk7, qt, firefox, samba, wine (x86), and more.

Of course not everything is tested well - but I know our 'build master'
runs musl on his new x86_64 laptop. I also run the musl builds on my
Wandboard quad core arm build server, as well as on test Raspberry Pi.

I've done my x86/x86_64 testing in chroot only, but plan to setup first
x86_64 physical boxes with only alpine linux/musl in them.

> 2. Introducing musl to projects that could benefit from it but which
> may not be aware:
>
> - Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/)
> - ... ?
>
> They would be candidates for sending our release announcement/press
> release to, with an offer to help if they want to use musl. I'm
> especially interested in promoting musl to Cyanogenmod.

Our armhf build is currently targetting Raspberry Pi - and I have it
running pretty nicely on it - though graphical side is still lacking Qt
and other stuff. omxplayer works, and vlc "sort of works". Though I
hope to get a few moments to put latest Qt running on it with hw accel.

I think this is known to some degree as someone posted even an early
review about it. Though significant improvements have been done since.

> 5. Collecting patches for software that needs fixes to build on musl
> and pushing them all upstream.

We've pushed some of the upstream; though we carry a lot of patches to
make stuff build also in our 'aports' git tree.

- Timo