Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:54:19 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: syslog() always sends GMT timestamps

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 01:04:13PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2014-01-29 23:33:44 -0500]:
> > So really this is a matter you could pretty easily change locally, but
> > where for correctness and robustness the change isn't acceptable
> > upstream. If you (or others) still have interest in trying to get
> > syslog with local time upstream, we'll need to have a discussion on
> > how it could be done safely.
>
> btw currently syslog does not print year so even if
> at a later point one tries to parse the date and
> display it in local time it will be hard to do so
>
> imo the standard timestamp format is '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'
> (maybe with T instead of space, but that's less readable)
> it is a bit longer than the current one, but at least
> clear, not nl_langinfo dependent (in case someone adds
> LC_TIME support for other languages) and reversible
>
> (the real iso8601/rfc3339 standard is '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ')

I'd like more input from users. I don't think this is something we
should change immediately before 1.0 or in the 1.0.x stable series,
but you've raised very good points that should be addressed at some
point. If we add build customization at some point in the future, this
may be an area we should consider allowing some degree of
customization. But of course I'm a bit hesitant to start doing that.