Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:42:48 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: _PATH_LASTLOG

* Raphael Cohn <raphael.cohn@...rmmq.com> [2013-12-03 17:44:04 +0000]:
> I'm trying to compile linux-pam 1.1.8 using musl-cross, and I've hit a
> compilation error in  modules/pam_lastlog/pam_lastlog.c
>
> Essentially, this code includes the clib utmp.h (based on HAVE_UTMP_H) and
> then assumes _PATH_LASTLOG is defined.
>
> utmp.h doesn't define this macro, but does define _PATH_UTMP and
> _PATH_WTMP. Should it? (And why are they set to /dev/null/xxx )?

the utmp business should be added to the faq..
and probably to the differences compared to glibc page as well

utmp.h was never part of any standard so it can contain anything
it could include paths.h (all the macros there are in the reserved
name space anyway), glibc does include paths.h there and the bsds
define _PATH_LASTLOG

the musl paths.h has _PATH_LASTLOG defined twice

the "/dev/null/xxx" is a file that's guaranteed to fail to get
opened or unlinked