Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:50:43 -0400
From: Andrew Bradford <andrew@...dfordembedded.com>
To: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
CC: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CLFS embedded book switches to musl-libc

On 10/16/13 17:22, John Spencer wrote:
> On 10/16/2013 10:46 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>> On 10/16/13 16:38, John Spencer wrote:
>>> while looking around i noticed that
>>> http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/final-system/pkgmgt.html
>>> gives some advice regarding GLIBC, which does not hold for musl.
>>> with musl, it's perfectly safe to just drop in a new libc.so.
>>
>> Thanks!  I wrote a trac ticket for it.
>>
>> http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ticket/935
>>

> this page also seems to require some cleanup:
> http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/appendixc/dependencies.html

Thanks!  I'll add trac ticket for cleaning it up, too.

> it mentions bash (not needed, everything works with posix sh (i.e.
> busybox' ash) as well), glibc, coreutils (should be busybox), gawk
> (busybox awk works as well, at least with latest bugfixes from git),
> udev (not mentioned elsewhere, so its probably not even in clfs),
> diffutils (not needed at all, bb's diff command works just as well),
> file (not needed at all), gzip (included in bb...)
>
> another thing i noticed:
> http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/beyond-net/libnl.html
> libnl is quite bloated, so the guys from openwrt made a lightweight
> replacement called libnl-tiny (also used by sabotage).
> http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Alternative_libraries#Alternative_Libraries_and_Programs
>
> sabotage also has a ready-to-use tarball available on its download
> mirrors, since openwrt's package seems to require a git checkout.

I might remove libnl and hostapd from the book, both were there to
support building for mips to target wrt54g devices but the wrt portion
of the book was so out of date that it has been removed earlier this
year.  The goal isn't to teach how to build a wireless router, just how
to get a minimal cross built system up and going.

If I don't remove libnl and hostapd I'll definitely check out libnl-tiny.

Thanks,
Andrew