Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 23:22:23 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Andrew Bradford <andrew@...dfordembedded.com>
Subject: Re: CLFS embedded book switches to musl-libc

On 10/16/2013 10:46 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> On 10/16/13 16:38, John Spencer wrote:
>> while looking around i noticed that
>> http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/final-system/pkgmgt.html
>> gives some advice regarding GLIBC, which does not hold for musl.
>> with musl, it's perfectly safe to just drop in a new libc.so.
>
> Thanks!  I wrote a trac ticket for it.
>
> http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ticket/935
>
> -Andrew

this page also seems to require some cleanup:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/appendixc/dependencies.html

it mentions bash (not needed, everything works with posix sh (i.e.
busybox' ash) as well), glibc, coreutils (should be busybox), gawk
(busybox awk works as well, at least with latest bugfixes from git),
udev (not mentioned elsewhere, so its probably not even in clfs),
diffutils (not needed at all, bb's diff command works just as well),
file (not needed at all), gzip (included in bb...)

another thing i noticed:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/beyond-net/libnl.html
libnl is quite bloated, so the guys from openwrt made a lightweight
replacement called libnl-tiny (also used by sabotage).
http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Alternative_libraries#Alternative_Libraries_and_Programs
sabotage also has a ready-to-use tarball available on its download
mirrors, since openwrt's package seems to require a git checkout.