Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:12:28 -0400
From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@...nsource.dyc.edu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Request for volunteers

On 06/30/2013 01:52 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With us nearing musl 1.0, there are a lot of things I could use some
> help with. Here are a few specific tasks/roles I'm looking for:
>
> 1. Put together a list of relevant conferences one or more of us could
>     attend in the next 4-6 months. I'm in the US and travelling outside
>     the country would probably be prohibitive unless we also find
>     funding, but anything in the US is pretty easy for me to get to,
>     and other people involved in the project could perhaps attend
>     other conferences outside the US.
>
> 2. Organize patches from sabotage, musl-cross, musl pkgsrc, etc. into
>     suitable form for upstream, and drafting appropriate emails or bug
>     reports to send.
>
> 3. Check status of musl support with build systems and distros
>     possibly adopting it as an option or their main libc. This would
>     include OpenWRT, Aboriginal, crosstool-ng, buildroot, Alpine Linux,
>     Gentoo, etc. If their people doing the support seem to have gotten
>     stuck or need help, offer assistance. Make sure the wiki is kept
>     updated with info on other projects using musl we we can send folks
>     their way too.
>
> 4. Wikimastering. The wiki could use a lot of organizational
>     improvement, additional information, and monitoring for outdated
>     information that needs to be updated or removed.
>
> 5. Rigorous testing. My ideal vision of this role is having somebody
>     who takes a look at each bug fix committed and writes test cases
>     for the bug and extrapolates tests for possible related bugs that
>     haven't yet been found. And who reads the glibc bug tracker so we
>     can take advantage of their bug reports too.
>
> Anyone up for volunteering? :-)
>
> Rich

You can watch (and critically comment) on my progress with gentoo + musl
at the following repo:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/hardened-dev.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/musl

My goal it to get patches that can eventually be incorporated upstream
where upstream means either 1) gentoo if its a gentoo specific issue and
2) the developer/maintainer of the code.

My approach to #2 will be to patch the build system to detect what is
available and what isn't, breaking down assumptions like linux = glibc.
  Currently though, I'm busy just "dirty" hacking, ie just making sure
it compiles in face of missing header, etc.

#1 is not trivial either as it requires things like a wrapper for
ldconfig which our package management system assumes is available.  When
emerge gcc, libgcc_s.so.1 must be made available else breakage!

It appears our goals overlap so I guess this makes me volunteer.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology