Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:38:41 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: High-priority library replacements?

On 04/29/2013 07:51 AM, Brad Conroy wrote:
> I have been keeping track of unbloated alternative resources with permissive licenses here:
> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72359
>
> Here is a summary in no particular order:
> Imaging ... stb_image (nothings.org) or nanojpeg+lodepng+webp
> stb_image supports png and gif (+many others) and thus has lzo and zlib
> Lua ... stua (nothings.org)
> Ogg ... stb_vorbis

i would be careful with stb_ things since the author makes statements
such as:
"Warning: gcc strict-aliasing optimization breaks this, which is too
bad, because my old version probably didn't have that problem but it
relied on silently casting from void*, which doesn't work in C++, so
when I made it C++ compilable I had to start casting to void** and doing
other shenanigans and bam. Just Say No to strict aliasing optimizations
in C, which should be the sane systems programming language. Heck, MSVC
produces faster x86 code than gcc on most tests I've tried, and MSVC
doesn't do strict-aliasing optimization. So it's not like gcc doesn't
have room to do further optimizations without breaking existing code."

so he basically means that C should behave as he wants it to work and
not how the specs says.
also he loves MSVC which says a lot...

btw: i don't see the point in replacing lua with some halfbaked,
slow-ass pseudo scripting lang.