Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brad Conroy <technosaurus@...oo.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: High-priority library replacements?

--- On Thu, 4/25/13, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
>The recent thread "Best place to discuss other lightweight libraries"
>had me thinking we should really put together a list of high-priority
>library replacements that need to be done. I don't think I'll be the
>one to do them, but I wouldn't mind overseeing/mentoring someone
>working on them, or just getting somebody else interested in these
>projects.

I have been keeping track of unbloated alternative resources with permissive licenses here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72359

Here is a summary in no particular order:
Ssl/encryption ... libtomcrypt, axtls
Imaging ... stb_image (nothings.org) or nanojpeg+lodepng+webp
stb_image supports png and gif (+many others) and thus has lzo and zlib
Ecmascript (aka javascript):
 ... see-3.1.1424.tar.gz (currently unmaintained) or
 ... spidermonkey 1.8.0rc1 (last C-only version)
OpenGL ... tinyGL <<== SDL implementation
Html5 ... hubbub
Css ... libcss
Svg ... libtinysvg
Lua ... stua (nothings.org)
Freetype ... stb_freetype
Tcl ... jimtcl
Ogg ... stb_vorbis
Gcc ... llvm+clang or tcc
Perl ... microperl (distributed with perl)
Python ... tinypy
Gnu-utils ... toybox, asmutils, embutils, toolbox, busybox...
Video ... Webm
Mp3 ... minimp3
Libstdc++ ... uclibc++, stlport, eastl, ustl, libcxx, libcpp, the sgi stl,
php ... ph7
VOIP ... baresip
readline ... linenoise
unicode ... libutf
GUI ... sdl, agar, ???
 ... netsurf's framebuffer (can use linux-fb, xcb, sdl & wayland backends)
a statically built svg viewer using libtinysvg weighed in at 273kb
(built with xcb and linux-fb backends)
I'm considering implementing a light immediate mode gui toolkit on top of it.

-Brad Conroy