Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:37:42 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pending issues for next release

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:11:16PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2013-04-01 19:31:44 -0400]:
> > Here's a quick list of open issues that we might want to take care of
> > before another release:
> >
> > - ARM-optimized memcpy, etc.
> > - put*ent functions in pwd/shadow/etc.
> > - program_invocation_name
> > - Posssible misaligned access bugs in mbsrtowcs (?)
> > - [u]intmax_t underlying type mismatches ABI on 64-bit systems (?)
>
> and fix [u]intmax_t and wchar_t limits in stdint.h etc. (U,L,LL suffix)

For [u]intmax_t, assuming all archs use the lowest-rank type that can
hold the value, wouldn't it suffice to just omit the suffix entirely?
Then the compiler would give it the right type. Or will this break in
c89 mode or something obscure like that?

> and fix printf fmt in inttypes.h (otherwise gcc will warn)

Yes..

> other pending things from my todo:
> arpa/tftp.h (inetutils http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2012/11/26/2 )

OK I'll look at this.

> fgetspent, putpwent (pam_unix http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2013/02/27/4 )

Just added, but the shadow stuff is stubbed still.

> inb, outb,.. (xorg, grub, lmsensors,..?)

These have been present on x86 for a long time. Are there other archs
that need versions of them?

> mkostemp (better rand and stack address hiding)

Any specific recommendations? As temp filename generation is not
really security-critical (at worst you can slow down or cause
tempfile-creation errors in a target program), I think we should
probably avoid using the stack address at all. Leaking the stack
address to an attacker is too great a risk.

> struct ntptimeval (glibc vs musl abi http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2013/03/04/3 )

Uhg this issue again.

> random_r (used by mesa?)

Bleh, the API is pretty ugly. Thoughts on what we should do? Do they
actually care about having a thread-local PRNG state, or are they only
using it on the misguided idea that random might not be thread-safe?