Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:37:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Brad Conroy <technosaurus@...oo.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Agenda for next release?

Not functionally necessary for the release, but nice for future compatibility reasons, a few paths are hard-coded into the c files rather than defining them in the (non-)"standard" location
Ex.src/network/getaddrinfo.c has "/etc/hosts", "/etc/resolve.conf" and "/etc/services" hard-coded rather than defining them in netdb.h
#define _PATH_HOSTS "/etc/hosts"#define _PATH_NSSWITCH_CONF "/etc/nsswitch.conf"#define _PATH_SERVICES "/etc/services"
also defined in netdb.h for other uses

#define _PATH_HEQUIV "/etc/hosts.equiv"#define _PATH_NETWORKS "/etc/networks"#define _PATH_PROTOCOLS "/etc/protocols"

resolv.h does have #define _PATH_RESCONF "/etc/resolve.conf" however src/network/__dns.c still has the hard-coded path also
I'm sure there are others that grep could find (fstab.h,paths.h,ttyent.h xtables.h,???)
also android has etc in /system, so the actual path is /system/etc/hosts (though /etc is typically a symlink to /system/etc), but other strange layouts exist and it would be a lot easier/cleaner for work arounds to have the ifdefs confined to one location in the header files and use those definitions in the .c files so that port patches only hit a few headers without polluting the .c files with a lot of ifdef nests
I ran into this while building a static wget-like downloader that would use an alternate hosts file to complement a custom local server that locally hosts some problematic CDNs (to work around problems such as: waiting for ajax.googleapis.com, platform.twitter.com etc...) but this is an obvious hack, not the typical use case for a standard library... but then again part of the charm of musl is its "hackability"