Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:06:53 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: lshw FTBFS: res_querydomain declared but not implemented

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 09:59:31PM -0800, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> I've been trying to build lshw [1] with musl, and I ran into a few problems:

Have you sent any reports/patches upstream yet?

> 1: lshw uses __uint8_t (standard fixes work)

Indeed, this is just a bug in the app.

> 2: It wants GNU basename() (I added <libgen.h> and used -fpermissive)

I'm not sure how that would help. If it wants GNU semantics, it should
probably use a drop-in replacement for the function.

> 3: It wants MAX_PATH from some header that doesn't have it: I added <limits.h>

PATH_MAX is in limits.h. MAXPATHLEN is in sys/param.h (bogus header
full of random miscellaneous junk). I don't think I've ever heard of
MAX_PATH...

> 4: It wants res_querydomain.
> This does not show up until link time, since <resolv.h> declares it.
> However, musl does not acually implement this function.

And it seems to be completely undocumented how it's supposed to
work...

> Currently, I've got a very hackish implementation that isn't fit to ship:
> -it doesn't check for name == "machine."

What is special about "machine."?

> -it doesn't handle domain == NULL (should use name, without any terminal ".")

Seems easy enough to fix..

> -it does no error checking, on the assumption that res_query can handle that.

Seems fine.

BTW a full name can never be longer than 256 bytes (including null
termination), so you can do the concatenation on the stack in a
fixed-size array. You'll need to generate your own error if the
combined length would exceed the max.