Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:58:34 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pending issues for release

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 05:17:21PM +0200, John Spencer wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 04:17 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 02:29:57PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> >>- dl_iterate_phdr patch (npx)
> >>- sigreturn(?) and other issues npx wanted for unwinding
> >Waiting on npx for these.
> we haven't heard from npx for quite some time; maybe we can skip
> that for the next release ?

This would be acceptable.

> >>- explicit mips soft-float abi support (mainly for use with broken
> >>   openwrt kernels)
> >Still need to figure out how best to do this...
>
> i think this one is also not critical for this release, and can be
> postponed.

I agree it's not _critical_, but since OpenWRT is one of the main
MIPS platforms people might be interested in, it's rather frustrating
that we can't make working binaries for it. Ultimately somebody
building a musl-based OpenWRT or similar would want to rebuild a
proper kernel without float ripped out of it (this will definitely
give a net space _savings_ when you count the soft-float code getting
linked into userspace programs), but if you're just trying to get a
few new musl-based binaries onto an existing OpenWRT installation, you
may need to play by their rules and use softfloat.

Maybe there's some quick partial-workaround we could document in the
FAQ or such?

> >>- make endian.h more robust for opposite-endian builds (mipsel, armeb)
> >Done.
> >
> >>And a few other things that might make it in, if I get around to them:
> >>
> >>- fenv support on mips and microblaze
> >Done on mips; microblaze does not seem to have working hard-float.
> >
> >>- additional use of vfork (system, popen, wordexp, etc.)
> >Mostly done. wordexp remains, and should possibly be reworked to use
> >popen or posix_spawn as its backend to avoid code duplication.
>
> what's the current status on this one ?

Everything except wordexp is done, but they're not heavily
regression-tested. wordexp is rather low priority since nothing
serious uses it. Care to check that system, popen, and posix_spawn are
working okay in some real use cases?

> >>- subarchs in build system (e.g. mips-softfloat, arm-hardfloat, etc.)
> >Still unsure how best to do this.
>
> introducing this right before a release could cause unexpected
> breakage; imo we should postpone this as well.

Yeah, I'd rather wait to make major build system changes.

> i hope for the release to come out soon, to experiment with the new
> TLS support in qemu.

What sort of experimentation do you have in mind? Is it anything we
could do before a release to help ensure that it's all correctly
working?