Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:49:14 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help-wanted tasks for musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2012-08-19 00:26:11 -0400]:
> Preparing MD5 and SHA crypt for integration
>
> See the threads on the list. Basically we need source with appropriate
> license status (MIT/BSD/permissive or public domain) that's optimized
> for size.

i'm looking into this

fun fact:
the sha based crypt (the modern one designed in 2007,
but it follows the old weird md5 crypt algo)
has limits on the rounds but no mention of limits on keys

http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/SHA-crypt.txt

eventhough

step 11. is O(keylen * log(keylen))
step 14. is O(keylen^2) (!)
step 16. the reference implementation uses alloca(keylen) (!!)
step 21. is O(keylen * rounds)

(md5 crypt is O(keylen) with fixed iteration count)

and there are alignment optimizations in the
reference implementation..
i guess that's some bad joke